Wednesday, December 23, 2015

What's YOUR Solution?

by Al Benson Jr.

Over the years, though mostly over the last few, as I have researched and then written about certain events, people, history, etc. that are, shall we say, less than favorable, I have gotten comments back from people who say basically, "we already are aware of the problems you discuss, but what's YOUR solution to them."

Let me say, at the outset, that most of these folks are well-intentioned and many of them share many of the same concerns I do from a Christian perspective. But most want to know what MY solution to these problems is. Let me turn it around a bit and ask some of them what THEIR solutions to these problems are. It almost seems, in many cases, that because I have pointed out the problem, I should automatically have the solution to it--and if I don't when why bother pointing it out?

When I first became involved in what some call "political activism" (though at root it's much more theological than political, and everyone's politics is a result of their theology anyway) over 45 years ago now, I knew nothing. I didn't as I have often said "know upside down from inside out." I was given a book about Communism by a preacher in a Bible class, which I read, to my horror, and it went from there. I have never gone back. I couldn't. Reading that book changed the whole direction of my life and I never could go back once I started learning about Communism and its attendant evils, which actually stretch way beyond Communism and all the way into boardrooms in banks in New York and other places and into the boardrooms in organizations in New York and London. But I didn't know any of that then. All I knew was that Communism was bad and, that as a Christian, I had to oppose it (Ephesians 5:11).

To my surprise, I found that most Christians couldn't have cared less. To them it was all "politics" and politics was "dirty" and so they avoided it. It was "of the world" and they were heavenly minded, so maybe they voted and maybe they didn't and that was about the extent of it, if that. It never seemed to occur to them that politics might have been less dirty if concerned Christians had been more knowing and more discerning about what went on. And so as I went along, I found that, as I sought to expose Communism for what it was, most of my opposition came from Christians. It was no different when we went to home school our children. Most of our opposition came from Christians who thought our kids would be much better off if we just enrolled them in the local public school. Well, my family and I lived in Kanawha County, West Virginia for part of the huge textbook protest that went on there in the mid-1970s and after what we saw there, there was no way our kids were ever going to attend public schools--anytime, anywhere. But I digress.

In my attempts to point out the evils of Communism to Christians, I found that most were totally uninterested. One preacher told me flat out that I was nuts. Others were not quite so straightforward but the thought was there if not expressed. Most of these folks never understood the theological nature of Communism, and what's more, they didn't want to. I was the congregational kook in some churches we went to. One man told me that when he first came to the church we attended at the time, when he asked about me he was told that I was "extremely conservative...and probably a member of the John Birch Society." Well, they were right about the JBS membership, and politically incorrect as I am, I'm not ashamed of it.

I recall back when we lived in Indiana, I read Whittaker Chambers' book Witness. It was Chambers' narrative of how he had been high up in the Communist apparatus, and of his dealings with Alger Hiss, who was also high up in the same apparatus. At some point Chambers broke with the Party because his conscience finally got to him and he could no longer handle the deceit. It was interesting that, when Chambers broke with the Communists, he actually thought they were going to win and that he would be on the losing side--but he did it anyway because it was the right thing to do. I was always impressed by that and it stuck with me--win or lose, as a Christian, you do the right thing!

As I went along and kept reading, looking, and asking questions, I learned that it was not only the Communists we had to worry about, but it was also the people that financed the Communists, that set up dictatorships and bought and paid for revolutions all around the world. I found out about groups like the Council on Foreign Relations, and later the Trilateral Commission and the Bilderburgers and other like-minded groups around the world. Actually the monopoly capitalist and the Communist have much the same worldview when you peel a few layers off the package and really look at it. One scratches the others back and one fronts for the other and together they play the old "pressure from above and pressure from below" game on the American public. I've been watching that happen here since the 1970s and we have yet to get it, and whats more, most Christians just won't be bothered, so they never learn how they've been had, and what's worse, they will never learn how their children and grandchildren will be had because they were just too spiritually lazy to do anything except criticize the people that tried to tell them about it.

I'm getting carried away here. Over forty years of this stuff sometimes gets to you. So, maybe from now on, when I write an article or talk to someone about some of this and they say back to me "I'm in complete agreement with you on this, but what do YOU think we ought to do about it?" I should say to them "If you are in complete agreement with me on this, then what do YOU think we ought to do about it?

Some of these folks seem to think or intimate that, because I have written about something that I, automatically, ought to have all the answers about how to deal with it. Newsflash!!! I am not the smartest guy in the universe. I DON'T have all the answers. I've been researching for 45 years now and I don't have all the answers. I've got some, but not all, just like others have got some but not all. And no one that knows me would assume I have all the answers to all the problems.

Do I believe the Lord is in control of this chaos and confusion? Absolutely. But quite often the Lord chooses to exert that control through His people, and when they ain't having any of that, when they don't care enough to learn and then act on what they learn, He may just use someone else for awhile until they get the message, and that might take two or three generations given our present mindset.

So, folks, if some of y'all that read what I write agree with me, please don't think I have all the solutions to the problems we face. I don't. Just maybe you need to start asking the Lord what he'd have YOU do instead of asking me what I'd do.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At December 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Blogger Insectman said...

As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

 
At December 23, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Blogger Al Benson Jr. said...

I think there is more truth to that than most people realize. Isn't there a comment in Scripture, I don't recall if Jesus said it or not but it's "A man's foes shall be they of his own house."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home